I had to deploy and configure SSRS on Friday. Getting it configured was an easy part. Then I had to deploy about 50 reports for testing. They all shared one data source. One unfortunate part I found is that you cannot add multiple reports to report server at one time. So, I had to pick one report at a time to add to SSRS installation. Once that was done I discovered that data source did not translate properly. At that point I had to pull up properties of each report and pick a data source yet again. Once all that was done, I was able to preview reports on SSRS server.
Next step was to configure application server. In my case I was using ASP.NET based SSRS report viewer. All my settings were in web.config. I updated them with the SSRS server location. However, once I tried to preview a report there, I got a security exception. What I had to do to resolve that is to note domainappserver location that my web site was running on. Then I had to go to SSRS configuration and add a user domainappserver$ with the role of Browser. At that point I was able to run and preview the reports.
I have the following notes:
1. Deployment tools (SSRS Management web site) is really lacking. I was wishing that I could force the person to reply a few hundred reports using that. I think the tool would be greatly improved after that :-).
2. Security is quite easy to setup.